History » Chronology

Chronology

1143

24 October
Date of the "Founding Document" of the Cloisters at Schoenstatt

End of the year
The women religious from Lunnech moved to Schoenstatt

An important source of income for the convent was the privilege allowing the people round about to buy a grave in the convent grounds. The nuns prayed the Office for the deceased. The cemetery chapel (Chapel of St Michael) therefore had an essential function.

End of 12th and beginning of 13th century

Construction of the convent church.

1319

18 September
Guda von Kastorf gave three vineyards to the Chapel of St Michael so that Holy Mass could be celebrated there very day and the convent had a secure income.

1434

Until 28 December 1436
Excommunication of the convent at Schoenstatt

15th to 16th century

Slow decline of the convent at Schoenstatt through bad management and a decline in morals.

1487 or 1489

1 April
Transfer of the last 24 nuns from the convent in Muehlenheim (part of Ehrenbreitstein) to the declining convent at Schoenstatt.

Middle of 16th century

All the Westerwald nobility had become Evangelical – the support and protection for the convent in Schoenstatt declined.

1567

10 October
The community had shrunk to five choir sisters and seven lay sisters. Transfer of the nuns to the Convent of St George in "Vogelsang", Koblenz, which another community of nuns had vacated to go to another house. The convent was closed down in 1803 during the course of the secularization measures.

1633

Start of the destruction of the convent church by the Swedes. The destruction continued later by the French. Partial destruction of the Chapel of St Michael.

1681

Reconstruction of the Chapel of St Michael.

1812

The chapel is used as a storeroom.

1890 to 1900

The grounds of the ancient Schoenstatt convent are acquired by the Dorsemagen family. The family prayed before a Lourdes statue in the Chapel of St Michael.

1901

19 April
The Pallottine Fathers bought the property

5 July
First Holy Mass in the Chapel of St Michael

Autumn
The chapel altar is transferred to the house chapel of the college.

1902

2 April
A new, more primitive altar is placed in the Chapel of St Michael. On it was placed a Pieta. The chapel remained an alternative venue for morning Mass until 1912.

1903

September
The newly installed electrical equipment meant that the Chapel of St Michael also received electric light.

1912

7 September
Fr Kolb transferred the Blessed Sacrament from the Old House to the new college on the heights above the valley. From then onwards the house chapel and the Chapel of St Michael were no longer used for church services. The demolition of the Chapel of St Michael was discussed.

The garden tools required by the boys to clear the gardens in the valley were placed in the Chapel of St Michael.

1914

19 April
Foundation of the Marian Sodality. Afterwards Fr Kentenich looked for a meeting place for the Sodality and thought of the chapel in the valley.

July/August
Fr Kentenich asked his Provincial Superior, Fr Michael Kolb, for permission to use the Chapel of St Michael as the Sodality chapel. Fr Kolb agreed and had the building renovated. It was given a new door. The walls were given a coloured ornamentation. A chimney was installed so that the chapel could be heated. Fr Kolb sent for a statue of St Michael from Limburg, and put it on a pedestal in the centre of the wall above the altar.

After 18 July
Fr Kentenich read an article about the origins of Valle di Pompeii.

31 July
With the immanent prospect of War breaking out the boys were sent home

2 August
General mobilisation.

4 August
The new College became a military hospital.

18 October
First meeting of the Marian Sodality after the long holidays in the Chapel of St Michael. The first talk given by the Spiritual Director to about 54 Sodalists and candidates at the start of the new school year only came to be known as the "Founding Document" of new Schoenstatt about ten years later.

4 November
The Blessed Sacrament reserved in the tabernacle of the Chapel of St Michael.

8 November
Second meeting of the Marian Sodality in the chapel. In his talk Fr Kentenich mentioned the arrival of the Blessed Mother at the first meeting, and the arrival of the Blessed Sacrament later on.

8 December
17 new members of the Marian Sodality make their consecration in the chapel. Among them was Max Brunner. At the same time 22 boys were admitted to the Congregatio Minor for the middle section of the College through a consecration. In his words of gratitude Max Brunner in the study room spoke the famous words before a statue of the Immaculate Conception: “Ave imperatrix, morituri te salutant – Hail, Empress, those who are about to die, greet you!”

End of 1914
In a talk at the end of the year Fr Kentenich referred to his first talk of 18.10.1914, saying: “In my first talk this year I stated: May our Sodality Chapel become the cradle of our sanctity as the chapel of Our Lady in Florence became for our second patron, St Aloysius. Today I know that these daring words have been echoed in heaven. It seems that in many instances it is the measure and norm for our Queen and Mother to distribute grace.”

1915

2 April
Ernst Huggle, a teacher, had seen a picture of our Lady in Freiburg, bought it and given it to the chapel. It arrived at Vallendar station packed in a box on Good Friday, 1915, and was fetched by two Pallottine Brothers and hung in the chapel. The statue of St Michael was moved with its pedestal to the left hand wall.

11 April
The foundation of the Marian Sodality the previous year was celebrated on Low Sunday. 30 new members made their consecration and were accepted in the Junior Sodality. Joseph Engling was among them. The new picture of our Lady was already hanging in the chapel. The boys started to look for a title for the picture.

May
The Sodalists collected "May Blossoms" for the Blessed Mother, and for this purpose put a cardboard box with resolutions on the altar in the chapel.

12 May
In a letter to Joseph Fischer Fr Kentenich used the concept "capital of grace" for the first time.

26 June
In a letter to Joseph Fischer Fr Kentenich ended the search for a title for our Lady’s picture: “We have baptized it Mater ter admirabilis – Mother Thrice Admirable. We shall honour her under this title in the time to come in our Sodality Chapel. There is no doubt that she has proved herself to be wonderful. … If I were to tell you about my experiences as spiritual guide of five or six of our students, you would understand the title: Mater ter admirabilis.”

June
Konder, a soldier Sodalist donated a statue of the Sacred Heart to the chapel. It was placed on the left hand corner cupboard. It is not certain whether a statue of the Heart of Mary was placed on the right hand cupboard at the same time.

July
As he prepared for his holidays, Joseph Engling wrote as a heading to his Spiritual Daily Schedule: “Contributions to the capital of grace of our Mater ter admirabilis.”

End 1915 or beginning of 1916
A stone floor was donated and laid in the shrine.

1916

May
May Blossoms were collected.

15 June
Arrival of the Stations of the Cross donated by Joseph Fischer. It is not certain whether they replaced an older set.

Summer 1916
Interpretation and plans: The chapel a new Palestine; as a national shrine; thoughts of enlarging it; an album of Sodalists started; planning of a war memorial. The MTA picture was printed on letterheads and on the cover of the periodical MTA, and in this way spread.

Christmas 1916
A Crib was donated to the chapel by Fr Kolb, the Provincial Superior.

1917

23 March
Beschluß der Leitung der Marianischen Kongregation, ein professionelles Foto vom Inneren des Kapellchens herstellen zu lassen. So entstand das älteste Bild vom Inneren.

29 January
Fr Franz Wagner, the Rector, gave a golden reliquary of his patron, St Francis de Sales, to the shrine on his feast-day.

1918

First half of the year
The statue of the Sacred Heart was replaced by one of St Aloysius, and the statue of the Heart of Mary was replaced by one of St John Berchmans. The exact date is not certain, but it was before 4 June 1918.

27 April
Low Sunday. Welcome of the soldier Sodalists returning from the war; 5th anniversary of the founding of the Marian Sodality. For this occasion Fritz Esser made the electric light frame for the MTA picture and a wooden crown. Acceptance of 12 new members into the Junior Sodality, among them Franz Bezler. Memorial tablet with 109 names installed on the right wall of the body of the shrine.

July
Unveiling of a case with Iron Crosses on the left wall of the body of the shrine.

18 July
Fr Kentenich released from his office as Spiritual Director so that he could found a centre and the Apostolic Federation.

1919

28 October
Fr Kolb, Provincial Superior, presents an official document from Rome in which the Old House and the shrine are placed at the disposal of the Apostolic Federation in perpetuity. From then on the Leader of the Federation became responsible for caring for the shrine.

Late autumn
Small renovation to the interior of the shrine; it was painted white; the planned decoration by a Benedictine nun was postponed.

23 December
After completing his term of office as Provincial Superior, Fr Kolb moved to Schoenstatt and was given the task to care for the shrine by Fr Kentenich, the Leader of the Federation.

25 December
First Holy Mass in the shrine after its renovation.

1922

Until 20 September 1926
Pallottine Sisters, who had worked in the College while it was a military hospital, cared for the shrine for six years, until the Sisters of Mary took over from them.

Until 1923
During the time of inflation the small and very old benches in the shrine were replaced with bigger ones.

1923

Autumn
At the meeting of leaders of the Apostolic Federation it was decided to enlarge the shrine in order to emphasize its importance. This was not carried out, because the decision was taken to build a Home for the Federation instead.

1924

Major renovation of the shrine. The floor was lifted by about 50 cm and covered with pinewood flooring. A second inner wall, 5 cm thick, was put up to cure the damp problem.

1927

19 March
The Sisters of Mary place a statue of St Joseph on the left corner cupboard, St Aloysius was placed on the right hand cupboard; the statue of St John Berchmans was removed. It is not clear where it went.

1928

21 February
First all-night Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in the shrine.

6 July
The shrine was burgled for the first time.

28 October
The shrine was burgled for the second time. The tabernacle was broken open, but the burglars were frightened off. From then on, the Blessed Sacrament was reserved in the Old House at night.

1929

2 February to 9 April
The saying about "The shadow of the shrine" in which the destiny of the Church would be decided for centuries.

24 December
Beginning of perpetual Exposition and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in the shrine (at night in the house chapel in the Old House).

1932

21 March
One of the towers collapsed on the Monday in Holy Week

From 1932
Plans for new flooring and a new altar were discussed.

April
The shrine is given a new parquet floor.

1933

The statue of St Joseph placed in the shrine by the Sisters of Mary is replaced with a new one – date and reason unknown.

1934

The Stations of the Cross were removed from the shrine. At the beginning of the 1950 a new set carved from sandstone were put up along the wall around the playground/pilgrims’ place.

25 March/9 April
New altar with two angels in adoration and a new wooden crown for our Lady, as well as new Communion rails are put up in the shrine. Fr Baumann, Provincial Superior, consecrated the shrine on 9.4.1934 under the title of Mary’s Motherhood; its patronal feast was laid down as 11 October, so that an annual solemn octave from 11 October to 18 October could be celebrated. (The feast of the Annunciation [25 March], which fell on Palm Sunday in 1934, had initially been planned for the consecration, so it was transferred to Low Sunday).

17-22 August
The remains of Max Brunner and Hans Wormer brought home from the battlefields; interred in the night from 21-22 August 1934 behind the shrine. From then on the saying: "Nothing without you – nothing without us" became popular.

1935

12 November
The two angels in adoration were replaced by statues of St Peter and Paul; our Lady’s wooden crown was gilded and the Mother Thrice Admirable invoked as Queen of the Apostles in the spirit of Vincent Pallotti.

15 December
The heroes’ graves were given a new layout, and a large stone for Joseph Engling was put up (Engling Stone with a hanging lamp).

1938

31 October
A marble memorial plaque was put up on the Engling Stone by the young men in the College.

1939

31 May
Kapellchenakt des Indivisa-Kurses der Marienschwestern; am Altar kniet P. Kentenich. Zur Erinnerung an diesen Tag wird das Innere des Heiligtums mit der alten Fahne fotografiert; das Foto existiert bis heute.

10 December
Für den Tag des silbernen Jubiläums Schönstatts am 18. Oktober 1939 war die Krönung der Gottesmutter geplant; aus terminlichen Gründen mußte der feierliche Akt verschoben werden und geschah dann am 10. Dezember 1939. On behalf of the Sisters of Mary and the whole Schoenstatt Family Fr Kentenich gave the Blessed Mother a golden crown (the third).

1940

25 January
The chimney in the shrine caught fire.

2 July
The Sisters of Mary working in the diaspora gave our Lady a lily sceptre.

New Year’s Night 1940/1941
The young men (with Heinz Schaefer) lit a new sanctuary lamp in the shape of an orb.

1941

20 September
Fr Kentenich’s last Holy Mass in the shrine before his arrest by the Gestapo.

1943

18 October
The blessing of the first exact replica of the shrine in Nueva Helvecia, Uruguay – the first daughter shrine.

1945

20 May
Return of Fr Kentenich from Dachau.

1946

4 October
The symbol of the Holy Spirit installed.

17 October
The urns containing the ashes of Fr Eise and Fr Reinisch are interred; two brown crosses are added to the two black.

17 October
Blessing of the first bells for the Adoration Church donated by the Young Men.

18 October
Solemn crowning of the MTA as Queen of the World.

1947

9 April
Pope Pius XII granted the shrine certain indulgences.

20 May
The women’s Institute of our Lady of Schoenstatt donated a new light frame made from precious metal and decorated with jewels as their crowning gift.

18 October
The Inscriptio Cross put up in the shrine.

1948

31 May
The Women’s League donated a new tabernacle as their crowning gift. The five silver plates lining the tabernacle were added a year later on 31 May 1949.

20 October
The layout of the heroes’ graves renewed and a new Engling Stone blessed

1949

18 October
A new altar stone donated by the Apostolate of the Sick as their crowning gift.

1950

15 August
The refugees’ groups donated a new holy water stoup. The old one went to the daughter shrine in Metternich.

1951

21 January
The Pallottine Fathers erected a Pallotti group statue in the shrine to replace the statue of St Aloysius. A Pallotti statue donated by the Sisters of Mary at the same time was not accepted. The statue of St Aloysius was bought by the Sisters of Mary and later put up in their shrine on Mount Schoenstatt.

5 July
Solemn blessing and presentation of the Cross of the Eastern Church to the shrine.

22 October
Fr Kentenich left Schoenstatt after saying his last Holy Mass in the shrine.

1952

February
Electric heaters filled with oil are installed in the shrine. The old stove had previously been replaced by a slow-combustion stove.

March
The chimney, which was no longer needed, was removed.

1953

1 November
A new shrine flag represented the Schoenstatt shrine in Rome.

1 December
The picture frame of the MTA picture was gilded with real gold by the Women’s Federation.

1958/1959

A black chain was put up at the heroes’ graves.

1961

27 March
Fr Fellner blessed the new doors for the shrine. They had been donated by the League for the Sick.

1964

18 October
The Pallottine Fathers donated a new bell to mark the Golden Jubilee of the shrine.

1965

24 December
After 14 years of exile our father and founder knelt again in the original shrine and celebrated Midnight Mass there. He was not to enter it again until his death.

1967

1 July
The Sisters of Mary, who had cared for the shrine without interruption from 1 October 1926 to 30 June 1967, were replaced as sacristans by a Pallottine Brother.

2001

5 November-23 December
The shrine was given a completely new roof.

www.urheiligtum.de - The Website about the Original Shrine of the international Schoenstatt Movement.

Icon  Icon  Icon