Every year the interior of the shrine is re-painted. This was also done this year. From 1-5.4.1974 the shrine was closed to visitors. It was surrounded by scaffolding up to the roof. The slates on the southern side of the roof were replaced, and new gutters and a down-pipe fitted.
On 5.4.1974 the original shrine was again opened to visitors. Already while the renovations were in progress there was concern whether further changes had been made to the interior of the shrine. And in very truth we were greeted by a new and unusual sight as we entered the shrine. The Communion rail had disappeared and is not to be put up again. The platform in front of the altar has been extended to the wall on either side. The whole sanctuary, including the area in front of the Communion rail, has been carpeted. The statue of St Michael is temporarily missing. However, since the iron fittings are still in the wall, it is hoped that the Archangel will still return to the shrine. We have almost reached the point at which one will have to go to a daughter shrine to see what the original shrine was like from 1935 until our founder’s death.